Contact Us
ICSE/ISC Council Affiliation Registration No. HP 004
School Registration Code 02111501902

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bishop Cotton School is the second best amongst boys boarding school in India; and third best boarding School in the Country and first best boarding School in Himachal Pradesh according to the EW-C Fore India’s Most Respected School Survey 2011. BCS is the first school in the country to introduce Scuba Diving as part of its adventure activities.
The Main School Building

The school buildings were erected entirely by donations. The school was built in Gothic architecture on a plan furnished by Crawford Cambell and erected by Major Innes. It was occupied in September 1868. Unfortunately on Sunday evening the seventh of May, 1905, whilst most of the boys were on "Khud Leave", the school caught fire. The fire as far as can be traced originated from an oil stove owned by the master living in the right wing of the building. The complete school was burnt except the H.M.’s Lodge, Senior Master’s house and the hospital. The school was rebuilt, generally on the same architecture and occupied in July 1907. On the first floor of the building are the four house divided into dormitories. The class rooms are on the ground floor. It was in 1906 that the dormitories were changed to houses. One house was named after Lord Curzon, Viscount George Nathanial, Viceroy of India 1898-1905, with the Latin motto "Facto Non Verba" (Facts not words). House colour adopted was Red. The second house was named after Lefroy, Rt. Rev. Bishop of Lahore 1899-1901, with the motto "Sperno Mutare" (I scorn to change). The house colour adopted was Green. The third house was named after Ibbetson, Sir Denzil, Governor of Punjab 1906-1908 with the motto "Nec Impetu Nec Imperio" (Neither by force nor by command) with the house colour Oxford Blue. The last house was named after Rivaz, Sir Charles, Governor of Punjab 1903-1906, with the motto of "Servamus" (We Serve). The house colour adopted was Cambridge Blue. All the house names, mottos and colours were chosen by Mr. G.S. Stokes, Senior Assistant Master 1906.